Monday 22 October 2007

Geology Rocks!!

Man, I feel so clever for coming up with this pun-acious blog title.

Yesterday I went to Siccar Point with the Sedimentology Class (the same folks who brought you the Arran Field Excursion). For those of you non-geologists, here's my easy to understand description of Siccar Point: "It's a jaggedy 'angular unconformity' (slanted rock) that supports a theory that geology exists. Basically."


It's me, exciting to be at Siccar Point.


Now that's what I call Hutton's Unconformity!

Siccar Point is about 45 minutes about from Edinburgh, on the east coast of Scotland. To get there, you have to drive to a Turnip Farm, walk through a cow field, and then walk (or slide) down a slippery slope to this rocky area right on the coast.

While we were there, I saw two minks (those slippery animals that make expensive coats) and a huge seal poking his head out of the water.

After Siccar Point we went to another place on the coast (this time a sandy beach) and did some sedimentary logging. Boy, was there a lot of sandstone!


Yep, that's sandstone alright.

No comments: